Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
AIA Akron Design Awards Program
2017 Program Dates: TBA
GENERAL SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
Firm: The submitting firm must be the Design Firm.
Location: The design Firm must have an operating office in the AIA Akron Territory; and the project must have been produced in an AIA Akron region office. (project/job offices are not eligible)
Submissions: The submitting designer, or at least one principal from their firm must, be a member of AIA Akron.
Entries may be in one of the following categories:
Category 1: Newly completed buildings, additions, remodelings, renovations, restorations;
Category 2: Interior projects;
Category 3: Urban design or planning projects/studies;
Category 4: Unbuilt projects.
Category 5: Student projects.
- Entries must be completed since January 1, 2011 regardless of project size, geographical location, budget, style or building type.
- Unbuilt projects include a design that will never be executed (i.e. a contest entry that was not chosen).
The design awards program will promote and focus attention on quality design, sustainability, and AIA's 10 principles of livable communities. The jury will evaluate all projects based on the aesthetic, functional, contextual and social characteristics of the design. The jury will also evaluate submissions in categories 1-4 based on their successful response to one or more of AIA's 10 principles of livable communities.
Those ten principles are:
- Design on a human scale
- Provide choices
- Encourage mixed-use development
- Preserve urban centers
- Vary transportation options
- Build vibrant public spaces
- Create a neighborhood identity
- Protect environmental resources
- Conserve landscapes
- Design matters
The principles will be broadly interpreted to apply to all categories of projects. Projects will be evaluated based on the information contained in the submissions. The jury will not visit projects.
Sufficient drawings including a site plan, floor plan(s), section(s), etc. to explain the solution are required.
- Exterior images of the project sufficient to completely describe the work accomplished are required, except for Interior Submissions.
- For current projects, a minimum of two required images shall depict the major exposed sides of the building along with the immediate environs.
- For projects involving exterior alterations to an existing building, similar "before" and "after" images are strongly suggested.
SPECIFIC SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Highlight Image in addition to the category images, all submitting projects are required to upload an image that will be used for the people's choice award, and on the AIA Akron website if the submission is given an award. 300dpi if possible.
- Category 1: Newly completed buildings, additions, remodelings, renovations, restorations will require up to 15 images, including drawings of a site plan, floor plan(s), section(s), and a minimum of 2 exterior and 2 interior images.
- Category 2: Interior submissions will require up to 15 images, including drawings of floor plan(s), section(s), and a minimum of 4 interior images.
- Category 3: Urban design or planning projects/studies will require up to 15 images adequately representing the project.
- Category 4: Unbuilt projects will require up to 15 images adequately representing the project.
- Category 5: "The AIA Akron Student Design Awards program focuses on high quality, innovative design responses. This program allows students to submit any school project they have worked on during the past academic year, including projects completed outside of the classroom setting (e.g. competitions). Students may even elect to re-address projects previously submitted as part of coursework and improve their original design solution. The AIA Akron Student Design Awards provides all students with the opportunity to submit their best and most innovative work."
Students may submit any work that they have completed either individually or as a team (identified as such) within the past academic year (May 2016 -May 2017). The work can be from a studio project, independent study or just a project or concept that appeals to the student. Will require up to 15 images, including drawings of a site plan, floor plan(s), section(s), and a minimum of 2 exterior and 2 interior images. The students, in addition to their images, will need to submit a written description of their work. This should be a 100-150 word statement of their process, or their approach to addressing the studio problem. While projects will be evaluated on the entire composition, it is also important for the projects to be juried against the students' own statement.
Submission Fee: $75 (Fee waived for Student Work)
Payable to: AIA Akron